Smart Coupons provide a powerful, “all-in-one” solution for gift cards, store credits, discount coupons, and vouchers extending the core functionality of WooCommerce coupons.
This doc article explains how you can sell fixed denomination gift certificates in WooCommerce – $10, $20, $50, $100…set within a fixed lower and upper limit. Offer a versatile gift card system allowing your customers to select from a list of fixed denominations.
Smart Coupons does not introduce a dedicated product type for gift certificates. Instead, it allows you to use Simple or Variable products as a basis for selling gift certificates.
To allow customers to purchase fixed denomination gift certificates of their choice in quantities, you need to first create a coupon and then a product.
- Go to your WordPress Admin panel > Marketing > Coupons > Add new coupon.
- Click on Generate coupon code or enter your own code.
Important: Coupon code should not have any spaces.
- Select ‘Store Credit / Gift Certificate’ as the Discount type from the drop-down.
Important: Leave coupon amount blank.
- Enable the ‘Coupon Value Same as Product’s Price?’ option.
- Publish the coupon.
- Add a new Variable product or edit an existing Variable product.
- Associate the above-created coupon with this product under General > Coupons.
- Each of your fixed denominations will be created as a product variation. So add attributes to a variable product as explained here. And create product variations, where each variation has a unique and fixed price, i.e 10, 20, 50, 100.
- If you do not want to charge shipping for this product, mark product variations as Virtual.
- Publish / Update the product.
Important: If you have any coupon in your store that can be used to buy the above gift card/store credit, make sure to set ‘Usage limit per user’ under ‘Usage Limits’ to 1 for that coupon. Otherwise, your customer will get real credit at a discounted rate multiple times, resulting in a loss for you.
When a customer purchases any product variation, a coupon with the same price as the variation will be created and will be emailed to them.
- Customer visits the product page, which allows them to purchase gift certificates in the available fixed denominations.
- They select the amount and quantity to be purchased. For example, $10 credit in a quantity of five and $20 credit in a quantity of one. Customers would choose $10 from the dropdown menu and set the quantity to 5 and add them to the cart. The customer would then choose $20 from the dropdown, set the quantity to five, add them to the cart and then proceed to checkout.
- On the checkout page, the customer will have two options to send the coupons now or schedule them for later. Learn more about scheduling.
- Once all is set, the customer can make the payment.
After the payment is completed, a gift certificate is generated and forwarded via email to the recipient(s).
The sender is also informed by an acknowledgment email.