Local Pickup is a shipping method that allows the customer to pick up the order themselves.
- Go to WooCommerce > Settings > Shipping > Shipping zones.
- Click the Edit button on the shipping zone where you want to offer this method.
- Inside the shipping zone, click the Add shipping method button.
- Then, select the shipping method and click the Continue button.
- Enter a Name that displays to customers in the cart and checkout pages.
- Select the Tax Status to determine whether tax is applied to the Local Pickup Cost.
- By default, when using local pickup, the store base taxes will apply regardless of customer address.
- Enter the Cost for this option, to be applied to the entire cart.
- Click the Create button to finish.
Customers residing in the zone with this shipping option are able to select this in the cart and during checkout.
WooCommerce uses the standard order flow when the local pickup shipping method has been selected. For example, the customer receives the same order confirmation email whether local pickup or flat rate shipping has been selected.
To create custom emails, use the guide How to Add a Custom WooCommerce Email.
Disable local taxes when using local pickup
To disable local tax calculations for Local Pickup, add this snippet at the end of your theme functions.php file:
add_filter( 'woocommerce_apply_base_tax_for_local_pickup', '__return_false' );
Regular taxes will be used when local pickup is selected, instead of local taxes.
Changing the location for local taxes
To charge local taxes based on postcode and city for Local Pickup, you need to define the shop’s base city and post code using this code: